Massage therapies and techniques for stress relief are age-old practices that continue to this day. However, we assume that the only place where they are available are expensive spas and parlors. In fact, these techniques can easily be practiced at home. A relaxing rub down can do wonders for a worn out and tired body.
- Stress causes tension in the joints and muscles, making them stiff. A good massage can help you unwind and make your muscles and joints more flexible. It also helps one to identify the areas of maximum tension in the body, thereby enabling you to nip various problems, such as those of the back and other areas, with various techniques.
- Since this therapy helps one relax, it also helps those, who have insomnia. It soothes and calms the nerves, thereby enabling good sleep. Lack of sleep can result in a myriad of health problems, so a good massage is essential for anyone suffering from the same.
- A regular massage helps cure the stress that results in wearing away of the body and mind over a period. Since stress has become an inevitable part of all our lives, getting such a therapy aids us in identifying its magnitude and thus, effectively combating it.
- n addition to eliminating stress, it also enhances blood circulation throughout the body, and releases endorphins which give us a general sense of well-being and positiveness.
For a massage to be effective, the most important role is that of the environment in which it is given. Ensure that the area chosen for the therapy is quiet and soothing. You may play some light music in the background. Light up the room with scented candles; avoid harsh lights, and use aromatherapy oils for massaging, for a better effect.
Now, follow these steps for a soothing massage :
- To begin with, pour some oil on your palms and begin the massage on the back, from the shoulders to the lower back (to be able to spread the oil across) by holding the hands side by side with fingers together, and rubbing the back in a gentle circular motion.
- Next, knead the affected muscles with the base of the palm. Push the base hard into the affected area in order to provide maximum relaxation. Be sure not to hurt the muscles. This technique is effective for stiff and sore muscles, especially in the back, legs, and buttocks. It thoroughly relaxes the muscles and eases the effect of stress on the body.
- Lastly, on the stiffer areas, use both the thumbs or index fingers in a circular motion, for about 10 seconds, to release the tension. This process can be repeated a couple of times, till a feeling of relaxation is experienced in the body. Repeat step one to complete the massage to give an overall sense of calm.
Though these self-massage techniques are useful for the body, some parts such as the back cannot be effectively rubbed down by oneself. As such, it is better to provide this guide to a friend or family member, who can do it for you and help you achieve desired results. Perform some overall body stretches after the therapy to sustain the effect. Do remember not to get a massage if you have consumed alcohol at any time in the day, if you have fever, or if you have just eaten something.
Never consider this therapy as a luxury or something that only the rich can afford. These techniques combined with aromatherapy, you can give yourself and your dear ones an effective, natural stress buster, which they will be eternally thankful for!